Mito Foundation offers travel grants to assist people impacted by mito to attend Mito Foundation community events.
Mito Foundation understands that travel and accommodation costs can make it challenging for people living outside capital cities to attend. Travel grants are offered to reduce the financial impact of attending events that aim to connect mito community members with information about living with mito, and to other mito community members.
Whilst Mito Foundation would like to support all applicants, there are a limited number of grants available for each event. Depending on the number of applications received, Mito Foundation may be able to cover some or all of the costs for successful applicants.
Click here to apply for a grant.
Grant applications must be received five weeks prior to the date of the event, unless otherwise stated. Successful applicants will be notified at least three weeks prior to the event.
Successful grant recipients must make their own travel arrangements and send the tax invoices to Mito Foundation. These costs will then be reimbursed after the event.
- While all members of the mito community, their families, carers and related organisations are welcome to attend Mito Foundation events, travel grants are available to people with a diagnosis of mito and their immediate family or carers.
- For state-based events, applicants who reside in the state the event is being held are eligible to apply.
- For national events, applicants who reside in Australia are eligible to apply.
- As a guideline, reimbursement of travel costs (e.g. flights or petrol) will be offered when travel is greater than 30km, and reimbursement of accommodation costs will be offered where the attendee’s residence is greater than 2 hours away from the event or the event spans across an evening.
- In some instances, reimbursement for parking at or near an event may be offered, on a case-by-case basis.
Travel Grant Process
- Consider your travel requirements and investigate how much it will cost to attend, including transport and accommodation.
- Complete the online application form.
- You will be notified three weeks prior to the event by email whether your application is successful and what value and items can be included for reimbursement.
- Once funding is confirmed, arrange your travel and keep all receipts for the Mito Foundation.
- After the event, submit all receipts to the Mito Foundation by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will be reimbursed to your nominated bank account within two weeks of receiving the reimbursement and bank details in full.
Terms and Conditions
- Only costs up to the amounts quoted for and approved in advance will be reimbursed.
- All costs must have an ATO compliant Tax Invoice and proof of payment. The Mito Foundation cannot provide reimbursement without receipts.
- The Mito Foundation is unable to fund expenses not related to travelling to the event, regardless of whether they fit within the approved amount. For example, the Mito Foundation cannot provide reimbursements for taxi trips beyond the airport, your accommodation and the event venue.
- Expense claims must be received within three months of the event. Expense claims received after that time will not be reimbursed.
The grant recipient must attend the event the travel grant was applied for. We encourage grant recipients to provide feedback about their experience at the event to be used in the Mito Foundation’s event communications.