National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS): Resources
This page contains resources to help you understand the role of the NDIS, what NDIS means for you, and information to help you apply, including case studies.
There is also information for carers.
- The Mito Foundation NDIS Factsheet (Download PDF format, 122KB)
This resources provides an overview of what the NDIS is, how it works, and where to find more information.
- “My NDIS Pathway” (Download PDF format, 293 KB)
This resource provides a guide to what the NDIS is and whether you are eligible to apply, as well as information for carers.
- “Carer checklist” (Download PDF format, 328 KB)
This resource helps carers to describe the tasks they perform in their role to help the planning process in an NDIS application.
- “Participant Statement – Adult” (Download PDF format, 469 KB)
The Participant Statement is designed to help you describe how you would like to live your life in the future. It is a template that will help you to list information about yourself that can be useful in NDIS planning sessions.
- Top Ten Tips From the Mito Community (Download PDF format, 340 KB)
In August 2017, the Mito Foundation hosted a Mito Connect Call on the NDIS. Mito community members participated in the call and gave advice on how to apply for the NDIS, and what to do during the application. We have compiled the top ten tips from the call.
“Rachel and Penny” (Download, PDF format, 433 KB)
This case study details Rachel’s* experience of applying for the NDIS for her daughter, Penny* who suffers from mitochondrial myopathy. Rachel discusses her application process, what she could and could not receive funding for, and the time it took to process her application.
*Names have been changed.
For more NDIS resources and information:
- National Disability Insurance Scheme. The official government page
- Carers NSW for information for carers on the NDIS
- NDIS events page for upcoming information sessions.
- The Multiple Sclerosis (MS) website includes background information about NDIS, a checklist of things to consider before your planning meeting, guides to access, and eligibility, stories of people who are already accessing the NDIS, and a series of webinars.MS also provides Support Coordination to assist in making your NDIS plan active. Many people find it challenging to implement the funded support and services included in their plans. The NDIS provides funding for Support Coordination to help you put your plan into action and strengthen your ability to manage your own plan in the long term. MS understands the impacts of diseases like mitochondrial disease and has a great insight into a wide range of providers.
- The Cerebral Palsy Alliance offers one-on-one support and preparation meetings and information sessions. The information sessions are recorded and available through the foundation. The website also includes personal stories of people who have been through the process of obtaining support from the NDIS.
- Advokit is a guide to help you navigate the NDIS and exercise your rights
- The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) contains information about entering into contacts with services providers and consumer rights.
- The Disability Advocacy Finder helps you locate government-funded advocacy services in your area.